Submitters are encouraged to read previous volumes in the series, which can be ordered directly from the Center for the Art of Translation. Full submission guidelines here. Publishers interested in submitting manuscripts for serialization should contact Annie Janusch at ajanusch [at] catranslation.org.
- Previously unpublished work only.
- The translator cannot also be the author of the piece unless it is a co-translation.
- We generally publish one to four poems from a single submission, but we will read up to a maximum of ten pages.
- The average prose submission is about 2500 words, but we do publish shorter and longer pieces (1000–4000 words). Short stories are preferable to novel excerpts. However, novel excerpts will be considered if thoughtfully excerpted to stand as independent pieces (to the extent possible).
- In order to be considered, submissions must include a brief introduction (400–500 words) with information about the original author, the background of the piece, and unique issues that the translation process presented. To see a sample introduction, click here. If you'd like to download it to your computer, right-click the link.
- All submissions must include a copy of the original text.
- Translators are expected to acquire copyright permission for all work not in the public domain.